LIGHT IT UP FOR PAID SICK DAYS!
Take Action to Demand Bill 239 is Passed
Join the Ontario Federation of Labour’s call to pass NDP MPP Peggy Sattler’s Bill 239, the ‘Stay Home If You Are Sick Act’ for 7 permanent paid sick days, plus 14 additional days during a pandemic.
The Ontario Legislature is set to return on February 16. Let’s make it clear they need to pass Bill 239 as soon as they are back to work!
Monday, February 15 - Family Day
Paid sick days are crucial for the well-being of all families. What better way to mark the holiday than shining a spotlight on the urgency of legislated paid sick days? This family day weekend, the Ontario Federation of Labour and the Fight for $15 and Fairness are joining forces to LIGHT IT UP for paid sick days.
Join the #LightItUp for #PaidSickDays action.
What you can do:
- CALL YOUR MPP: Click here to use the OFL’s online tool to Call Your MPP to demand all party support for Bill 239. If your MPP is NDP you will be given the option to call Doug Ford, Christine Elliott, Merrilee Fullerton, Monte McNaughton or Stephen Lecce instead.
- DOWNLOAD A POSTER: Click here to download and print a Light It Up poster. Hang the poster in your window, on your front door or around your neighbourhood to show your support for paid sick days. Share a selfie on social media of you holding this important message.
- DOWNLOAD A COLOURING PAGE: For those with children, make it a family event. Click here to download and print a Light It Up colouring page. Colour and decorate the page with your child(ren) and hang the artwork in your window or on your front door.
(PS: All you educators – this would be a fun homework assignment for your students…)
- ADD A FRAME TO YOUR FACEBOOK PROFILE: Click here to add a temporary Light It Up frame to your Facebook profile photo.
- LIGHT IT UP ON FAMILY DAY: On Monday, February 15, join the #LightItUp for #PaidSickDays action. Between 5:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Whether you are alone or with family, when the sun sets this family day, turn on your cell phone light, a flashlight, a lantern, light a candle or whatever light you have, and shine the light from your window, off your porch or balcony, your driveway, during a walk around your neighbourhood or wherever you can, to show your support for paid sick days.
Take a selfie, family photo or video, with the poster, colouring page or light, and post it on social media, saying why everyone needs paid sick days and tag your friends to do the same.
Let folks know that you expect your MPP to support Bill 239 which provides all workers with 7 permanent paid sick days, and an additional 14 paid sick days during public health outbreaks like COVID-19.
Use the hashtags #LightItUp for #PaidSickDays and tag @OFLabour.
RSVP to let us know you will be joining us in this action to demand paid sick days for all!
If you do not have social media, send your photos or video to [email protected] and we will post them for you.
#LightItUp for #PaidSickDays because #PaidSickdaysSaveLives
If you have any questions about the solidarity actions, please contact OFL Interim Director of Political Action Chandra-Li Paul (Chani) at [email protected].
President, Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL)
705-321-1441 mobile | [email protected] | @pattycoates
Executive Director, Rob Halpin: 416-707-9014 | [email protected] | @Poleconomist
Executive Secretary, Judy Chow: 416-443-7653 | [email protected]
http://www.OFL.ca | @OFLabour | Facebook.com/OFLabour
The Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) represents 54 unions and one million workers. It is Canada’s largest provincial labour federation.
Chandra-Li Paul (Chani)
Interim Director of Political Action and Outreach
Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL)
15 Gervais Drive, Suite 202
Toronto, ON M3C 1Y8
Cell: 416-712-6125 l [email protected]
It is Canada's largest provincial labour federation.